UNICEF extends support to Centre for Children Studies (CSS) in KSRM, KIIT University till December, 2017
To create an enabling environment for evidence based advocacy, UNICEF Odisha and KSRM, KIIT University have entered into an agreement for Knowledge partnership on women and children’s issues. A MoU was signed between UNICEF Odisha and KIIT University on 31 December, 2010 to establish a Centre for Children Studies (CCS) in KIIT University to be managed by KIIT School of Rural Management. The Centre became functional in May, 2011 and since then it is engages in field based research on various issues relating to children and women in Odisha.
UNICEF started funding CCS from the month of May, 2011. Till now the center has undertaken the following research projects:
- A Study on the Perception and Attitude of Children of Sanitation Worker towards their Education
- Nutritional Status of Tribal Children in Phiringia Block of Kandhamal District
- Inter-District Variations in Immunization Coverage in Odisha- Analyzing the Blind Spot
- Study on Child Budgeting for Primary Education at the district level
- Improving Services of Special Newborn Care Units in Odisha
- School Monitoring System Samiksha
- Status of Juvenile Justice Act
- Effect of Malnutrition on Child Development in Juang Tribe
- Status of Right to Free and Compulsory Education Act – 2009
- Data Collection and Data Management in ICDS Project
- Barriers in Accessing Early Childhood Care and Development Programmes
- Making School Safer : School Safety Audit
- A Report on Outreach of Immunization Camps
- Mapping of Education Status, Impact analysis of education and mapping of children living without parents
- Knowledge Management : CCS Framework
- Food Intake Pattern of under 15 years children population of a Slum in Bhubaneswar City: A Micro level Empirical Study
- ICDS Implementation: An Analysis of Bottlenecks
- Education: Strategy and Approaches for 12th Five Year Plan
- WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) in
- Health Centre of Koraput, Malkangiri and Kandhamal Districts of Odisha
The way forward
The proposed project title is Centre for Children Studies – towards self-sustainability which would be supported for one year and two months from November 2016 to December 2017.
A Centre for Children’s studies at KSRM is functional in the state to bring forth knowledge products for evidence based programming and advocacy, with due consideration on self-sustainability of the Centre post 2017. It is proposed to extend this agreement further till Dec 2017.
Lessons learnt so far:
It was conceptualized in the beginning that UNICEF Odisha and KIIT University would identify strategies, programs and projects to fulfill the below objectives
- Strengthening the existing systems to promote strategic knowledge management
- Building a knowledge base on children’s and women’s issues concerning the state of Odisha with focus on social inclusion
- Developing a platform and system to promote generation, analysis and sharing of strategic knowledge that inform policy and program.
In 2017 the centre will work on developing
A cadre of research scholars for social sector research to contribute in quality evidence generation and advocacy;
- Knowledge base developed on issues of children and women in the State of Odisha for academia, researchers, government functionaries, CSOs, media etc.
- Strengthened Knowledge exchange and dissemination of output on the issues of children and women amongst all stakeholders.